Favorite Pie Crust



 




Now that Thanksgiving is just around the corner, it is time to bake pies and I would like to share with you my favorite pie crust recipe.
 
We love pies but, the art of pie baking eluded me for years.  It had nothing to do with the filling; it was all about making a good, flaky crust.  My mother had a reputation for her excellent pies and I watched her make them many times.  In fact, I even made one along side of her once.
 
Mom could do this so well with little effort but, I could not get the ‘touch’ at all!  It would not incorporate well; had too much water or not enough, or else broke into pieces when it was rolled out.  It always stuck to the board or counter and was nearly unfeasible for me to pick the dough up and place it in the pie pan, forget trying to patch it.  Mom did it effortlessly in one swift motion.  I was ready to give up on it and just buy those ready-made crusts in the grocery store.
 
Then, years ago, my Aunt Ruth came to the rescue and gave me a pie crust recipe that was almost impossible to mess up, she said!  And she was right!  She told me a friend gave her this recipe many years ago when she was learning to bake.  It is different in that a paste is made and added to the flour.  I have always used this recipe ever since because it never fails – is always flaky and delicious!
 
 
Mom’s pie crust recipe for a 2 crust pie:
 
2 cps. flour
2/3 c. Crisco
1 ½ t. salt
Water
 
Her method: 
 
Add water by teaspoon and feel of dough.  Roll out and work fast!
 
 
Aunt Ruth’s (and my) recipe for a 2 crust pie:
 
2 ¼ cps sifted flour
¼ c. cold water
1 t. salt
¾ c. Crisco
 
Her method:
 
Measure flour into mixing bowl, then take out 1/3 cup flour and put in a smaller bowl.  Mix the cold water into the 1/3 cup flour, making a thick paste.
Add salt and Crisco to flour in large bowl and knead until crumbly (I use a pastry blender).  
Add the flour paste.  Stir till just combined.  Roll out on floured surface.




This recipe will not fail.  It makes a delicious tender, flaky crust.  If I can do it, anyone can! 
  

Popular entries