Pista Kulfi/ Pistachios icecream

  Ha! Now Kulfi needs no introduction does it?  Some things evoke the child in you and kulfi definitely does that for me.  I had my first kulfi on an excursion outside Kerala and then on quite hooked. I love most Indian desserts like kalakand and burfi etc but this one has a special place.  It conquers all, takes the icing on the cake really, because its frozen.  Like most people I love ice cream and so does my children.  This is an ideal way to taste an Indian dessert and fall in love.  Hopefully, you agree. I am rambling.

  A fun of another sort I am having these days is listening to my son.  Entertainer.  His father was absolutely in splits listening to him say 'Buhmb' for Urumb (meaning: 'ants').  I adore this phase of my son.  As rowdy as he is, when he makes up these words and says it with carefree, abandon, cool as if  he is right!  Confidence.  Love it now but maybe not if he was a teenager. Worries for another time.

 Today, let's enjoy the small wonders the day brings and lick up some mouthwatering, lip smacking, rollicking goodness of kulfi. Oh.. what fun and such beautiful memories this dessert evokes.  Don't you agree?

  If you have not heard of this dessert: it's similar to ice cream except not whipped to a fluffy consistency.  Milk is cooked down and frozen to make a dense ice cream.  Pisatchio's,  I think are the most common flavoring agent but you can make many variations.  Let that imagination run wild!   I have done mine today with pistachios.

Forgot to ask: Hope you are doing well and had a jolly weekend.

Now, shall we go on and have some 'njummy, ammi kulfi' like my son would say...okay!


Pista Kulfi

Ingredients:

Milk- 4 cups/1 liter
Condensed milk- 1/3 cup
Sugar- to taste
Pistachios- 1/4 cup
Cardamom powder- 1/2 tsp

Method:

1.In a wide and (preferably) non sticky pan boil the milk till it reduces to one third of its quantity.
2.Do keep stirring in between and scrape down the sides. It took me about 20 minutes for get this done.
3.Meanwhile grind/grate pistachios coarsely.
4.Once the milk is reduced to one third, add the ground pistachios and condensed milk and cook for 2-3 minutes.Keep stirring.Add the sugar too if you are adding any.
5.Switch off the heat and add the cardamom powder and mix well.
6.Let it cool for some time and pour into kulfi mold/pop mold and set in the freezer for at least 4 hours.If you are pouring into a big bowl ,then let it sit longer to set.
7.Serve after garnishing with pistachios slivers.

Pista Kulfi

Notes:

1.Be easy on adding sugar since you are adding condensed milk.
2.This recipe gives ~6 servings.

Popular entries