MINT LEAVES/PUDHINA CHUTNEY FOR IDLY DOSAS

                          My MIL makes this chutney sometimes when she have mint leaves at home. She make the best Idlies in the world according to me. Before marriage I used to hate eating idlies,my mom makes me dosas or idly upma as I don't like Idly.She too makes soft idlies,then too I started liking idly only after eating my MIL’s Idly… !

                         Mint chutney,well,I am not a big fan of,but for a change, I would like to make and enjoy with soft idlies and dosas. Sometimes our taste changes with time…Like wise whatever I used to hate before,am liking now a days and I am wanting change in my regular menu…

Mint chutney

Ingredients :

Mint leaves A fist full
Onion 1 no.(medium sized)
Tomato 1 no.(medium sized)
Coconut,grated 1 1/2 tblsp
Salt As needed
Turmeric A pinch(optional)

To Roast:

Channa dal/kadalai paruppu 1  1/2 tblsp
Red chili,long variety 5-7 nos.
Oil 1/2 tsp

To temper:

Mustard 1 tsp
Urad dal/Ulutham paruppu 1 tsp
curry leaves 1 sprig
Asafetida powder A pinch
Oil 1 tsp

Mint Chutney

Method:

  1. Heat a kadai with oil and temper with the tempering items given and transfer to the serving bowl.
  2. Add channa dal and red chili and roast till dal turns golden brown.
  3. Add Mint leaves to it and sauté till the mint leaves just reduce in its volume.
  4. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
  5. Add the onion and tomato (add oil little too) and fry till onion turns transparent and tomatoes turn soft.
  6. Cool down and grind the roasted items with this onion,tomato and add turmeric,coconut and salt while grinding.
  7. Grind to a smooth paste with water according to your desired consistency and serve mixed with the tempered items.Enjoy with idly or dosa!

With Idly

Variation : You can also add a little coriander leaves along with mint leaves Raised Eyebrow

Popular entries