ONION TOMATO CHUTNEY

SIDE DISH FOR IDLY DOSA

      My kid always prefer sambhar or any other gravy kind for idly and dosa as side dish,but some times in our morning hurry burries,we cannot make anything elaborate or we dont have any mood to cook. So I make this, he likes this too anyways. I learnt this from my mom-in-law,I have already jotted so much about her idlies and how I love them(I can shamelessly tell if she makes hot idlies and this chutney,I can eat  a dozen of idlies without any worries,hehe), this chutney also she  makes equally good, the same chutney when she makes tastes divine to me,though I am nearing to get mine as her chutney’s taste :) 
DSC_0380copy12

Ingredients:

Onion 1 medium sized
Tomato 1 big sized
Kadalai paruppu/Channa dal 1 tblsp
Red chillies 3 nos.
Asafoetida A generous pinch
Coconut a Small piece / 1 tblsp
Oil/Ghee 2 tsp
Salt As needed

 

To temper

Oil 1 tsp
Mustard 3/4 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Curry leaves 1 sprig

Method

  1. Cut onion and tomato into chunks.
  2. Heat a tsp of oil in a pan and fry the red chillies and channa dal until the dal turns golden brown colour.
  3. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Fry the onion until transparent and add the tomato and fry till it turns soft.
  4. Cool down and transfer to the mixer,add salt and coconut and grind everything together to a smooth paste. Add little water while grinding.
    Fried ingredients
  5. Transfer to the serving bowl and temper with the Items given under To Temper  table. Mix well and serve with hot Idly or dosa!
Onion tomato Chuntey                  

Popular entries