Smashed Potatoes




I’m a spudoholic and I admit it!  I like them prepared just about any way except for potato soup.  I would run fast when I knew Mom was cooking that for dinner!

A while back, I stopped by at the Clements Family’s great blog to see what was cooking.  I’m not really sure how they have time to cook with having 3 kids, 5 years old and under, but there is always something good going on over there!  

This smashed potatoes recipe got my attention.  I’ve made smashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, many times but never in this manner.  I always roasted them in the oven and then smashed them good after roasting.  This recipe calls for boiling them first and then smashing and roasting them.

It makes a big difference!  Par-boiling definitely is the secret to great smashed potatoes!  They are not dried out from roasting!  The potatoes bake creamy and smooth with the skin having a good crunch.  I used new potatoes; they’re excellent for this ~ small, with a good thin skin for roasting. 

That’s it!  Voila!  Perfect smashed potatoes!  






Smashed Potatoes

Small potatoes
Olive oil
Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper

Wash your potatoes, then boil for about 30 minutes.  Remove, and put on a baking sheet.  Smash the tops of them.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.  Then top with parmesan cheese and bake for another 5 minutes.



Pam’s note:  I added a tablespoon of dried parsley and 3 minced garlic cloves. Par-boiled the potatoes until fork tender, smashed and roasted them and then added freshly grated parmesan cheese just before serving. 



Enjoy!



Popular entries