Vegetable Fried Rice

Hope you all had a fun Halloween. We had double fun since it was 'M's birthday too. Anyways he didn't play any role other than that of a wonderful Dad, but we had an angel and a lil pumpkin here. Though we had a very busy day, I wanted to make something special for the B'day boy. He likes my fried rice a lot and I thought that would make a great lunch. So, I made fried rice and baked a cake.


Veg Fried Rice


The credit for the recipe goes to my wonderful sis in laws.  I have already mentioned to you that I learned cooking after my marriage. Once, when I had some guests over and wanted to make something simple, yet delicious this rice which is always a winner in my new family came to mind. I rang up my SIL and she gave me the recipe over the phone and voila... it came out well at my first trial itself.  And now I have cooked it n times for my multinational guests and always get complimented. I have tweaked the original a bit here and there. We had it with chicken curry, fried pappad and a salad.


Veg Fried Rice

Ingredients
Ghee- 2Tbsp
French Beans- 5-6
Carrot-1(medium)
Bell Pepper(Capsicum)- 1 small
Green peas (frozen)-1/4 cup
Spring onion- 1 small bunch
Cashews-2 Tbsp
Raisins-2 Tbsp
Onion-2 small(sliced thin)

Basmati Rice- 2 cups
Water-3 1/2 cups
Lemon juice-1 Tbsp
Salt-to taste
Cinnamon-1 small stick
Cloves-4-5
Cardamom- 1/4 tspn
Bay leaves-2
Soy sauce(optional)-2tspn

Method

1. Wash and drain the rice and keep aside.
2. Cut the vegetables into thin pieces.
3. Fry the cashews and raisins in 1/2 Tbsp ghee and remove from pan.
4. Throw the beans and carrot pieces into the same pan and cook.
5. When it's half done add the frozen peas, bell pepper and cook for a couple of minutes. Switch off the flame.
6. Fry the onion till it turns golden brown and keep aside.
7.Meanwhile heat the pot you use to cook rice and add the remaining ghee . When it is warm add the dried rice into it and fry for 4-5 minutes on low heat.  Throw in the spices and stir.  Add salt and lemon juice into it and stir for a minute.
8. Add water and let it boil. Simmer once it starts boiling and cook covered on medium low till rice is done. It takes about 12 minutes to cook.
9.It is always great if you cook the rice in advance and let it cool a bit. The rice won't break away, while mixing then.
10. Layer the rice and the fried vegetables in this order or at your wish. First rice, followed by fried onion, vegetables, spring onion, cashews and raisins and a little soy sauce.
11. Serve with any curry of your choice and pappad. Garnish with coriander leaves

Veg Fried Rice

Contributor: Namitha

Popular entries