Chembu Curry

     I love the beautiful colocasia leaves more than it's root that I eat. Chembu, as I know colocasia, found in plenty obviously made its way into Kerala cuisine as well. There are different ways to make this and a simple style I used the other day was quite pleasing. By adding or subtracting a ingredient or two the root favorably alters the taste making for versatile dishes.   Esssentially,  it’s starchy root. The taste of chembu is close to yam, tapioca etc and yet distinct with its own subtle differences. Cook this root and then season to your liking by sautéing, adding a gravy or you could even eat it dipped in a simple green pepper and shallot dip.

  I can’t help but talk a little about the leaves. Popularly known as elephant ears they are beautiful. My grandfather would call it a weed, invasive and destroying other vegtation.  My cousins and I on the contrary  enjoyed them. The colocasia thrived and lent a verdant beauty to the river bank which is our back yard.   There is a wild one that grows with pink and green leaves.  I am not sure of it's scientific name  but I know their colors like the back of my hand. Green elephant leaves mottled with a brilliant pink.  I can’t explain the joy seeing them spread out in the yard. A very interesting passtime of my cousins and I was to wake up in the morning after a rainy night and go walk in the yard. The droplets of water cradled inside this leaf was a never ending fascination.  We would gather around it watching the water drop sliding beautifully like pearl in its shell. For a more vivid picture imagine how mercury moves.  Wonderful! Gliding water droplet on a velvety rich green!

Getting back to the root of the business here is the recipe for Chembu curry. Just remembered we used to play with the leaves using it as umbrella. Disclaimer: Please do not try this at home some varieties are toxic and can cause rashes. I told you I have a fetish for the leaves.

Chembu Curry
 
Ingredients:


Chembu – 7 – 8 small ones (I pick the smaller ones since I like them whole in my curry)
Coconut - ¾ cup
Red chillies – 4 or a tspn of chilli powder
Turmeric – ¼ tspn
Garlic pods – 2
Shallots – 2 – 3
Kokum – a small piece (this helps to prevent scratchiness if any of this root)
Salt to taste
 
Chembu Curry
Method:
1. Cook the chembu in enough water and salt till done. If you want to retain the shape be sure not to over cook. I generally pressure cook the chembu for two whistles with the skin on and then peel and add to the coconut gravy
2. Grind coconut, shallots, red chillies and garlic to a smooth paste
3. Take the chembu out of the water used to cook and add the kokum and coconut gravy
4. Bring it to a boil and turn off the fire/heat
 
Chembu Curry
Notes:


1. You can either pour coconut oil on top or do a tempering with mustard, shallots, curry leaves and pieces of red chilies with oil of your choice
2. If you like the orange color that I have got you will have to add chili powder and be aware that its quite hot to taste

Contributor: Sunitha

Popular entries