Bill’s Ham (?) Salad





I’ve said before that my Mom knew her way around a kitchen and was a great cook and baker.  Her pies had quite a reputation.  She loved ham salad and made it now and then.  I thought it was great until…

I was at Aunt Marge’s house one day back in the days when we lived on the farm in Picktown and Aunt Marge served ham salad sandwiches for lunch.  I thought it was the best thing and wondered why hers was so much better than Mom’s ~ but I didn’t tell Mom that.  Years later, when I met Bill, I found out!  His Mom made ham salad with bologna. 

So, now since Bill is the sandwich maker in the family; that is his way of making ‘ham’ salad:  with bologna. This is a pretty simple way of making it.  There are neither hard-boiled eggs in it, nor onions and it has to have Miracle Whip.  Years ago, he put the bologna through a grinder, then later started grating it on a hand-held grater and now shreds it in the food processor.  He says the only other requirement is that it be served on toast, that’s a necessity!






Bill’s Bologna Salad

Ingredients:

1 pound chunk bologna
1/3 cup pickle relish
½ to ¾ cup Miracle Whip
Pepper, to taste

Method:

Shred the bologna in food processor.
Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
Spread on your favorite toast.

Yum!


How do you like your ham salad?




Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog, at My Kind of Cooking for her great recipes and cookbook giveaway. 



Popular entries