SNAKE GOURD KOOTU

PUDALANGAI KOOTU RECIPE

        I had this kootu in my friend ‘B’ s place,she made this with her yummy tangy,spicy kaara kuzhambu so this one made an awesome combo with its mild and flavorful taste!

Pudalangai kootu

INGREDIENTS:

Snake gourd/pudalangaai 2 nos.
Split chick peas/Kadalai paruppu/channa dal 1/4 cup
Split green gram/paasi paruppu/mung dal 2 tblsp
Turmeric 2 pinches
Salt As needed

To grind:

Coconut 1/4 cup
Rice flour 1/4 tsp
Green chilli 2-3 nos
Cumin seeds 3/4 tsp
Small onion/shallots 2 nos.

To temper:

Oil(I used coconut oil) 1 tsp
Mustard 3/4 tsp
Black gram/Ulutham paruppu 1 tsp
Curry leaves A sprig

Method:

  1. Clean and cut the snake gourd to ur desired size cubes.I chopped little fine.
    Chop it I say ;)
  2. Take both the dhals in a small pressure cooker and just add enough water to immerse the dal.Add turmeric and stir well. Add the chopped veggie over it (don’t stir)
    Paruppu added chopped veggie
  3. Pressure cook till 2-3 whistles in medium flame.(I kept in one of my  pressure cooker container,along with rice..not directly.You can follow stove top method as well!)
    After pressure
  4. Grind the coconut,rice flour and green chillies first ,with little water and then add the cumin seeds and shallot lastly and grind coarsely.
  5. Open the pressure cooker after the pressure gets released by itself.Add the ground paste  and salt and mix in well and bring to boil.
    adding ground paste
  6. After it boils,switch off the heat and temper it with the items given under the To temper table.
    temper

Serve as accompaniment with vatral kuzhambu or kaara kuzhambu… I tasted with roti,tasted good too :)

Pudalangai kootu

 

                 One sad news Crying I dropped my camera down and my lens which I use for taking step wise picture is stuck…I have to take it to Nikon service centre and get it done,which will not happen in recent days. May take more than 2 weeks. Still I have another lens,so hope fully I will post some recipes but not sure about stepwise pictures!  Even this was lying in my drafts as this is a simple and boooooring recipeSigh

            And since most of you all are going on break and holidays,I am wishing you all bloggers and my readers A HAPPY NEW YEAR!  Wishing each and every one a Prosperous New year!!

100ND40X8 Botanical garden,SG

Catch you all after New year!

Popular entries