My Southwestern Frittata

Good grief ~ see last line before recipe...



This is one savory frittata that I crave because I really, really love potatoes!  It makes for a wonderful breakfast, brunch, lunch or even dinner.

I cook them in my “old reliable” well-seasoned cast iron skillet as it conducts heat evenly for cooking and enables me to slide the frittata out of the skillet with ease.  Then it goes under the broiler with no problem and no worries about the handle. 

Back to the frittata!  I started this frittata by browning onions, peppers and seasonings; then the hash browns and Santa Fe corn were added. Next, I added the eggs and finally the cheese.  This time, I only added cheese at the very end before broiling; however, I usually add half of the cheese at the same time as the eggs and place the remaining cheese on top before broiling.  Either way is fine and in fact, it is fun to experiment with different ingredients but, a frittata almost always has potatoes or a variety of pasta with an egg base. 

It truly is an easy dish to cook and tastes great warm or room temperature ~ even left over.  I really hope you give it a try if you have never prepared a frittata.  I got so wrapped up in eating it that I almost forgot to take a photo!

My Southwestern Frittata

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, chopped
½ red bell pepper, chopped
½ green bell pepper, chopped
4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
1 (8 ounce) can Del Monte Santa Fe corn, drained
6 large eggs
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 ounces Mozzarella, shredded

Method:

Heat olive oil in 10” iron skillet or other oven-proof skillet.
Cook garlic and onions over medium heat until softened, about 1-2 minutes.
Add potatoes and cook until golden, about 10-15 minutes.
Add corn, salt and pepper, cook until heated well.
Whisk eggs in a small bowl with a little salt and pepper.
Combine eggs with potato mixture in skillet.
Cook until underside is golden, about 6 minutes and eggs on top are not set.
Preheat broiler.
Spread cheese over frittata.
Place skillet with frittata under broiler approximately 3” from heat.
Broil for about 1-3 minutes to finish cooking eggs and melt cheese.
Slide onto a serving plate and eat warm or room temperature.

ENJOY!!!






Popular entries