Russian Teacakes

     In Kerala, where I come from, the tradition for Christmas is to bake fruit and nut cakes, fry diamond cuts, rose cookies etc.  Here in US, I see the tradition is cookies.  The last two days, I got together with my friend M and we baked and baked and baked.  We made four different cookies Russian Tea cakes or Mexican wedding cakes, lemon laced cookies, pinwheel cookies and cherry wink.  This is also one reason why I could not visit all my blogger friends.  I will hopefully make amends for it today to see what you all have been upto.  

   I photographed some yesterday and it was a time well spent.  As I am writing this I am glad I spend some quality time getting into baking because I am able to share it with you.  The flip side or con of holiday seasons are we are always on a sugar high.  Now then, what is the point cribbing.. lets all indulge and have some fun and then go on a diet the next week, what do you say?  Anyways, here is Russion Tea cakes for you.. I remember something similar called nan cut when in India.  I have made those and its pretty much the same if you avoid nuts.

Russian Tea Cake

Butter - 1 cup
Confectioners sugar - 1/2 cup
Vanilla - 1 tspn
All purpose flour - 2 1/4 cups
Salt - 1/4 tspn
Nuts(add your preferred one I added pecans) - 3/4 cup finely chopped

Method:
1. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla together.  I used a hand blender you could do without it as well.
2. Add flour, salt and nuts and incorporate together until the dough holds together to make small balls
3. Place the doubh balls on ungreased cookie sheets
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set but not brown in a pre heated 400F

Russian Tea Cake

Contributor: Sunitha

Popular entries