UPMA ADAI

                     This has been in my to do list for long time,my mom makes this,I used to love this a lot…She makes rarely though. I recently was going through my cook book collections,I saw very similar recipe in aval vikadan supplementary …so I mixed up the both and tried today. Liked so much. My  mom makes for dinner. We can make this as evening snack or along with another dish for dinner. I made small patties just like I saw in aval vikadan…(They have given a name “vandi chakkaram”)

DSC_0046

My  mom’s version ,she doesn't uses black   pepper and jeera,instead she uses red chillies and also she doesn’t add coconut much. So here's the hybrid.

Ingredients:

Raw rice 1 cup
Toor dal/Thuvaram paruppu 1& 1/2 tblsp
Black pepper corns 1 tsp
jeera 3/4 tsp
Coconut, grated 1 cup
Water 2 & 1/4 cup
Coconut oil 1 tsp
Salt As needed

To Temper:

Mustard 1 tsp
Asafetida A pinch
Curry leaves 1 sprig
Coriander leaves Chopped- 1 tblsp
Oil 1 tsp

DSC_0027

Method:

  1. Clean and soak rice and dal for at least 2 hours .
  2. First  grind pepper and jeera just a little and then add the soaked rice and dal and grind carefully to rawa consistency as shown in the picture.
  3. Soaked rice ground to rawa consistensy
  4. Heat kadai and temper with the items given under the table and add the water and bring to boil.
  5. Add the coconut and then the ground rice mixture and Mix well.
  6. temper boiling water with coconut
  7. Cook covered in low flame for 4-5 mins.Cook till it becomes like upma. (non sticky)
  8. Rice added Cooked upma
  9. Add the coconut oil(if desired) and mix well and switch off the stove.
  10. After cooling down take desired sized ball and make adais. I made small adais and shaped it with a lid. You can skip this step and make bigger adais as well.
  11. I used a polythene sheet and a glove. Grease just the first time when u start to make,after that i dint needed,so if you feel u need to grease,u can. Other wise not necessary.
  12. flattened adai shaped with lid
  13. Heat a non stick pan and drizzle little oil or ghee and toast these adais in medium flame each side for about 2 mins.
  14. in tawa turn over
  15. Serve with coconut chutney or coriander thokku or coriander chutney the best of all!!

Upma adai with green chutney.

           You can grind rice ,dal ,pepper and jeera to rawa consistency in mill and keep. When ever you want you can follow the same method(no soaking part) and enjoy!  I thoroughly enjoyed these,in fact I could not resist my self  eating while i was making adais and also after I made while taking pictures too Winking. Tastes good even if it cools down,so you can make it as a snack for any get together too!

Popular entries