Pidikarunai kizhangu podimas and MEME

        I don't know how exactly people call this in English...I think its called elephant yam .Its smaller in size like potatoes...Here's the picture...

DSC_1882

                      This kizhangu have a tendency to give you a itchy feeling in your tongue,when eaten.But proper cooking removes that tendency...My mother,MIL says...buy this and keep it for @least 2 weeks before cooking,which also helps.When we are cooking , we have to use correct proportion of lemon juice/tamarind extract.

                    But its very good for our health...like its good for curing loss of appetite,bleeding piles,constipation....So here's the recipe.

INGREDIENTS:

Pidi karunai kizhangu 8-10 nos.
Lemon/lime juice 1 1/2 tsp
Onion 1 no.
Green chillie 4-5 nos.
Grated coconut 3 tblsp
Oil 2 tsp
salt As needed
Mustard 3/4 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Curry leaves 1 sprig
Coconut oil (Optional)1/2 tsp

Method:

  1. Pressure cook the kizhangu upto 3 whistles.Cool down and peel off the skin and mash it with your hands.
    DSC_1883
  2. Add salt and lime juice and mix well,check for salt and keep aside.
  3. Chop the green chillies and onion.
  4. Heat a kadai and add oil,when hot add mustard,when it splutters,add urad dal, followed by curry leaves,green chillies and onion.
    DSC_1890
  5. Fry till onion turns transparent and light pink.
  6. Add the mashed kizhangu, kept aside.
    DSC_1891
  7. Fry  till moisture evaporates...May take little long time...
  8. Lastly add coconut oil(If using) and grated coconut and mix well.
    DSC_1896
  9. Now transfer to the serving bowl!Its ready as an accompaniment for rice !
    DSC_1900

Now MEME that I kept pending for almost a month...,raaji as I told you this is just for you!!

7 Facts about me:

  1. I am a food lover,as I grew eating hot hot ,my mom's delicious cooking....still I hate to eat my own cooking smile_wink.
  2. I have interest in music,I wish I could sing like Hariharan.....but I can still only enjoy his voicesmile_regular
  3. I can draw,paint a little...but now out of touch...
  4. I have interest to play badminton,volley ball....casually though I am not a champion in these games...just for funsmile_nerd
  5. I am very sensitive person,I cannot see any body ill,my darlings (hubby and my son) or my  close relations,suffering ...even a cold....smile_sad.
  6. I like to chat a lot...when I find time I will either call my friend sangeeta or call my parents,in-laws or any other relatives....so that my heart feels light.
  7. I sometimes feel to spend my free time ,something useful,like learning something....driving,photography.....but  my laziness wins !!!!

Popular entries