Simply Simple Green Beans





I’m not sure which fresh vegetable I like most in the summer time.  It could be green beans or sweet corn or maybe tomatoes.  They’re all great but green beans just might be my favorite. 

There was a time I liked green beans out of the can and gussied up a little bit.  Mom always canned the beans years ago and they were great but not the same as various commercially canned green beans.  None of it can compare to fresh green beans though!

I remember many years ago when Dad started planting broccoli.  I was used to frozen broccoli and was surprised how different it tasted straight from the garden.  The same can be said for green beans.


Anyway, my way of cooking the green beans is probably Southern but this is the way Mom made them and the way we enjoy them.  You can’t get much simpler than this recipe with just bacon grease, salt and pepper.  I have a hard time controlling myself when I start eating these and don’t know when to stop sometimes.  And, I love them leftover, if there is any!






Green Beans

Ingredients:

2 pounds fresh green beans, ends trimmed, snapped in half and washed
1-2 tablespoons bacon grease
Salt and pepper, to taste (I use McCormick’s Seasoned Pepper)

Method:

Fill large pan with water almost to level of green beans.
Add bacon grease, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium low.
Cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.


The only thing that would make this better, is adding new potatoes!


How do you like your green beans:  with bacon, a ham hock, bacon grease, butter, garlic or maybe just S&P?



Popular entries