Nana's Baked Noodles Antin


I know exactly what you're thinking: who's Antin?  I've asked myself the same question. And I couldn't find a thing about it online, with the exception of one lone copy of the recipe....very strange.  It was on Cooks.com, where one often finds reprints of really old recipes usually with no explanation. The kind that were in those wonderful old church cookbooks. The recipe was identical to Nana's (my dear MIL), so I guess she wasn't the only one making this. One thing I do know, this is a really old recipe. I'd guess 40's or 50's at least, if not older. Would love to hear from anyone who might have heard of this before and if you know the background.

I imagine one of Nana's friends passed this recipe on to her....she had so many. One her nicest ladies' groups called themselves The Menopause Mamas. (no need to explain how that got started) The MM's for short. When I was pregnant with my first, the MM's had a baby shower for me and I got the most beautiful things! Wouldn't surprise me if the recipe came from one of those really fun women. They did everything together.

   My sweet MIL, Virginia Hayes Williams 
                                                                                                    
And yeah, that's me with the ghastly yellow/white hair, right after I had my daughter. (What was I thinking??) Nana was NOT pleased. She was such an elegant lady. "What have you done to your lovely hair, dear?" in the sweetest voice imagineable. And my ever-blunt paternal grandfather took one look and said: "does having a baby turn your hair white?" :)


At any rate, my MIL served this dish a lot with a grilled steak. Back in those days, that was pretty much the only thing anyone grilled.....well, perhaps chicken once in a while. I think it's much like a savory kugel, without the eggs. This would be even better made with whole wheat noodles, but I was using up what I had left over. Sort of a mac and cheese side dish. You might even have most of the ingredients in your pantry; toss them all together and you have one fast side dish. It wouldn't surprise me if this dish was invented to use up leftovers. Probably by someone whose last name was Antin! You can substitute some lo-cal sour cream and cottage cheese, although I've never tried that. (Will it curdle?) Anyway.. this is quick, easy, cheap and if you're a crunchy noodle lover like me, you will be eating the top off this casserole and then picking at the sides after dinner.


Baked Noodles Antin




Ingredients:
 5 ounces egg noodles
 1 cup  cottage cheese
 1 cup  sour cream
 1/2 clove  garlic, crushed
 1 sm.  onion, minced
 1 Tablespoon  worcestershire sauce
 dash tobasco
 salt and pepper
 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese



Method:
Cook noodles until barely done. Drain well  and mix with all other ingredients. Put into a buttered casserole, Top with Parmesan cheese and bake in a 375 oven until brown. 


Serves 6

Popular entries