AVIYAL

                    I rarely make aviyal, and there are two reasons for that…One is mostly because of the veggies,the next reason is I forget ;) But I love the flavor of the dish! Mostly I make this as an accompaniment for rice along with vatral kuzhambu or kara kuzhambu or puli kuzhambu.  I have never made this with Adai,which is the most famous combo! But I donno , we are not much fascinated about that combination.  Any ways this recipe I simply followed from the cookbook my mom gave me.  Came out nice!

Aviyal

             My H and me both of us love aviyal in a way,for both of us,the texture of the veggies is very important,we don't like the veggies getting mashed,and we love our any kootu with the veggis not mashed too much,especially my H enjoys the texture very much along with the taste :)

So here’s the recipe for the aviyal I made, and I am disclaiming this may not be the authentic aviyal recipe from Kerala… But I assure you a great flavorful recipe :)

INGREDIENTS:

Mixed veggies(see procedure for details) 2 cups
Curd 1/4 cup
Curry leaves 1 sprig
Coconut Oil 1 tsp
Green chilli slit 2 nos.
Salt As needed

To grind:

Coconut 1/4 cup
Green chilli 1 or 2 nos.
Cumin seeds/jeera 3/4 tsp
Rice four 1/2 tsp

To temper:

Coconut oil 1 tsp
Curry leaves 1 sprig
Mustard,optional 1 tsp

Method:

  1. I used the veggies drumstick,cluster beans,peas,beans,snake gourd,carrot,potato and plantain.Cut them into long strips kind of pieces
  2. I first boiled the veggies in purple font above first,along with green chillies,curry leaves  and after those veggies are half done,then added rest of the other..I added plantain lastly as it takes less time to get cooked. You can pressure cook all the veggies together too for just two whistles with very little water.
    cooking veggies
  3. Then after the veggies gets cooked,grind the coconut first with green chillies and rice flour with little water and then add the jeera to grind coarsely. And add this mixture to the cooked veggies,mix in some coconut oil and give it a boil.
  4. Remove from fire and mix in the curd and temper the aviyal with coconut oil and curry leaves.(mustard if desired)
    Add to boiled vegies adding curd
  5. Serve as accompaniment for rice or Adai.

Aviyal

Popular entries