Amazing Bacon Tomato Cups!





“I can resist anything but temptation.”  I know Oscar Wilde said it years before my time but, it’s my motto!

And as an example, it’s that bacon and tomato thing that is hard for me to resist!  If you need a savory appetizer in the near future, here’s the one to try!  A friend gave me this recipe a while back.  She told me she took the train into Chicago one day to visit an old family friend who served these delicious little bites.  Joyce told me it was the best appetizer she could remember eating.  Thankfully, her friend shared the recipe!

It combines the great flavors of tomato, bacon and mayo.  But that’s not enough!  Add a little chopped onion, some shredded Swiss cheese and a little dried basil if you want to; pile it all in biscuit dough lining a mini-muffin tin, bake and VOILA!  You have a very divine little temptation that’s hard to resist!

You have to try it to believe it!

By the way, have you ever heard of a tomato called Radiator Charlie’s Mortgage Lifter?  A West Virginia auto mechanic named M.C. Byles, aka Radiator Charlie, crossbred large tomatoes in the 1930’s and came up with a whopper that he sold for $1 a plant, making enough money that it was appropriately called the Mortgage Lifter.  Now that’s a whopper tomato!


Now, here’s the recipe:







Bacon Tomato Cups

Ingredients:

8 slices of bacon, chopped and cooked crisp
1 medium tomato, chopped and seeds removed
½ small onion, chopped
3 ounces Swiss cheese
½ cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon dried basil, optional
1 can flaky biscuit dough*

Method:

Mix first 6 ingredients together.
Separate the biscuit dough into halves or thirds and shape them into greased mini-muffin tins.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until dough is golden brown.

*Pam’s note:  I have also used crescent roll dough for this, dividing it into about 16 mini-muffin cups.



I think the next time; I’ll add some chopped shrimp to it!  YUM!!!




Be sure to visit my friend, Linda’s blog @My Kind of Cooking for great tips, recipes.  She’s having a Double Giveaway now!





Popular entries