Smoked Catfish







Bill is posting today and all I have to say is that the catfish was excellent!  Love it prepared in this fashion!

Here’s Bill:

I’ve made many foods on the smoker but even though we love catfish, I never thought about smoking catfish until Pam told me about it after reading on Stephen’s blog, The Obsessive Chef.  It’s pretty simple as it’s a white fish, thin filets and no skin.

Thinking back, Dad made a smoker by taking an old refrigerator and converting it to a smoker.  He was so proficient that people he knew would ask him to smoke the salmon they caught from Lake Michigan.  He smoked all kinds of meat as well as his favorite, cheddar cheese.  Delicious!

Having used only an electric smoker which I thought didn’t really do a great job, I bought a charcoal smoker.  It is so much easier, except I have to learn the nuances of where the heat is the highest and the smoke output is greatest.  I’ll learn it as I plan to smoke a turkey breast soon.





Smoked Catfish

Ingredients:

6 catfish filets, approximately 2 pounds
3 tablespoons coarse black pepper
3 tablespoons sea salt
2 tablespoons white pepper
Smoked paprika
Crushed dill weed, dried

Mop (marinade):

2 cups seafood stalk
3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice (lemon is desired)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder

Method:

Prepare the filets by rubbing coarse black pepper, white pepper and sea salt on both sides.
In a large bow, combine mop ingredients.
Once the mop is prepared, add filets.
Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
When the smoker is hot and reaches 200 degrees, remove the filets from the refrigerator, reserving the mop.
Apply salt and pepper again.
Rub on a little smoked paprika and dill.
With the heat between 175-200 degrees, the smoking process takes about 2 hours.
Brush reserved mop on filets every 30 minutes.
Catfish filets are done when they flake easily.
Cool.
Wrap in foil and refrigerate.


Served with crackers, it’s a great hors d’oeuvres!


Be sure to enter the $65 CSN giveaway I posted on Sept. 15th!



Check out my friend, Linda’s blog, at My Kind of Cooking for her great recipes and cookbook giveaway.



Popular entries